Make a Plan
Every home should have a fire escape plan. According to the American Red Cross, homeowners shouldn’t just have a plan of escape for a fire but have a plan and practice it twice a year. Home fires cannot be predicted and can happen to anyone. If you’re making preparations to prevent home fire, you should also prepare for what you and your family would do if you have one. Here are some tips from the American Red Cross in making a plan for your home.
- All members of the household should know two ways to get out of every room.
- Consider escape ladders for sleeping areas or homes on the second floor or above. Learn how to use them and store them near the window.
- Pick a place outside for everyone to meet and make sure everyone knows where it is.
- Practice your home fire drill until everyone in the household can do it in less than two minutes.
- Practice waking up to smoke alarms, low crawling and meeting outside. Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
Once the safety for your family is established, the next steps to come will be home recovery. SERVPRO® will work with you from widow and roof board up to assisting with the final stages of move back & rebuild.
If you have a fire : SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County is here to help with fire damage clean up