Winter Storm Preparedness
Winter Storm Preparedness: Building an Emergency Kit
Winter Storm Preparedness WNY is necessary.
Nevertheless, one important thing we’ve learned in our business is: never say never.
Our office and employees must be prepared for any sized disaster, no matter what. After all, we can’t respond to calls if we’re in the middle of an emergency ourselves.
To be prepared for a possible winter storm, consider items we have in our own preparedness kit.
Vehicle Preparedness Kit
This kit supposes that an emergency may include being stranded for any reason and needing to wait to be helped.
- First Aid Kit
- Blanket, wrapped in a plastic bag to keep clean
- Mittens, Hats, Jackets, also wrapped in plastic bags
- Cell Phone Charger
- Extra Batteries for flashlight
- Ice Scraper
- Tow Rope
- Kitty Litter
- Full Tank of Gas (or Full Electric Charge)
- Spare Tire
- Jumper Cables, 8ft 10 gauge
- Pet Food, if traveling with pets
- Pet Leash
- Spare Water
Home Preparedness Kit
This kit is helpful if the power goes out of your neighborhood and you have to wait for it, and your heater, to come back on. This is not a kit for homes that live where there is consistent, heavy snowfall.
- First Aid Kit
- Mittens, Hats, Jackets
- Cell Phone Charger (battery packs, pre-charged)
- Extra Batteries for Flashlight
- Food that does not require cooking (for humans and pets)
- Spare Water (in case pipes are frozen)
- Radio, battery operated
Other important home preparedness aspects to consider:
- Know where your water shut off valve is.
- Know which circuit breakers control parts of your home.
- Know where the gas shut off valve is.
- Get your fireplace checked once a season.
- Have phone numbers of emergency response companies.
If you experience a water or fire damage in your home this season, please give us a call. We’re ready to help.
SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County services Irving and all surrounding Dallas communities. We can be reached 24/7 at (716) 694-7776.