Mold in your business
The very idea of mold can make any home or business owner cringe. Yes, mold can be beneficial, used in making brie or penicillin, but it can also be a really big problem when it is growing undetected somewhere on your property or belongings.
It can grow just about anywhere: on clothing, food, paper, carpet and the backside of drywall, just to name a few spots. It can produce allergens and irritants and, in some cases, toxins that are dangerous to your health.
Here are four steps you can take to protect your business and employees from a mold issue:
- Do an audit of your property. Are there any areas that are full of moisture much of the time? Seepage into storage areas or accumulation from leaky pipes should be dried within 48 hours to avoid mold damage. Encourage workers to keep wet items picked up, hanging wet coats up and keeping rain boots and wet shoes in an area that won’t soak up moisture. Take steps to keep floors and windows dry at all times, but especially during wet weather.
- Proper ventilation is a good way to keep mold at bay. Keeping bathroom and kitchen doors open can help, increasing air circulation and aiding in the drying process. Using dehumidifiers keeps areas dry and pleasant, and always keep an eye on them to make sure they are in good repair and not contributing any moisture themselves; the manufacturer’s information provided will give directions on cleaning and care of your unit.
- Many products today contain mold-resistant materials, such as sheetrock or paint. Shop around for helpful products when doing any renovation or repair to your Belle Meade business, especially in areas that will experience moisture, such as kitchens, break rooms, and bathrooms.
- Monitoring the humidity indoors in your Belle Meade business can go a long way to mold prevention. The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent; you can measure this with a moisture meter easily found at your local hardware store.
Contact the SERVPRO team of Eastern Niagara County for all your water or fire damage needs, or if you need assistance with mold prevention or remediation! We’re here for you! 716-694-7776