Being Prepared for April Showers' in your House
Living in the WNY can be quite exasperating at times.We never know what to expect so we have to be prepared for the unexpected.
Here at SERVPRO, we are prepared to clean up your house fire on Monday - to your flooded basement on Wednesday. Here are some helpful tips to keep your house safe before and after experiencing inconvenient crisis.
Important Warnings about Water Damage:
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on!
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet surfaces.
- Do not use any ordinary vacuum to remove any water.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help.
After Experiencing Water Damage:
- Use fans to circulate the air and assist with drying.
- Use dehumidifiers if available.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furniture dry.
- Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the draper rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors and luggage to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Do not remove damp books from shelves. Leave tight to prevent pages from rippling.
- Control interior temperatures with heat or air conditioning. Keep interior temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees.