National Preparedness Month
Different types of disasters and emergencies happen in communities across the country, but there are key steps that every household can take to be better prepared for them. If you do nothing else this month, take time to create a disaster plan including an emergency escape plan.
Make a clear plan of what to do in an emergency and in case of an evacuation.
Identify clear roles for everyone in the house.
Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies that can happen at home, work, and school.
Make a list of all the important things you may forget when in an emergency.
Have a disaster kit assembled for everyone in the house.
Have an out of the area emergency contact person saved on a smartphone.
Practice evacuating your home twice a year, especially if you have kids or pets. This makes it a routine and can make a real emergency situation less stressful.
According to the Red Cross there are many disaster apps now available for smartphones and tablets that can be downloaded to help with emergencies. Some of these apps include a full emergency app, tornado, hurricane, earthquake, wildfire and flood apps. If any of these disasters are common in your areas I would recommend downloading the corresponding app. With these apps you can know when to evacuate, where a shelter may be located, and exactly where the disaster occurred.
Go to: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/mobile-apps for more information
Did you know? The air in your home is 10 times more dirty than the air outside.
During the Spring and Summer months, allergens accumulate and fill areas of your home or office with dust, dust mites, animal dander, mold and other unhealthy elements. Unless you address the situation now, the air quality will continue to deteriorate.
Your friends at SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County want to ensure that you and your property are properly prepared for the upcoming season. Therefore, we would like to offer you some helpful tips that will adequately prepare your property for the Fall:
- Eliminate mold and mildew indoors by cleaning under the refrigerator, washing and disinfecting garbage cans, scrubbing bathrooms, and cleaning or changing shower curtains
- Remove any wet debris from around the home or office, as mold spores are airborne particles that can easily float indoors
- Schedule to have your chimney cleaned within the next month. Excessive buildup of creosote and debris, as well as miscellaneous branches, leaves and animal nests can create a dangerous situation as it increases the potential to spark a chimney fire.
- Remember not to ignore your ductwork, vents and HVAC systems. Unnecessary dirt and debris can pose a serious threat to the health of your family or employees if they are not properly maintained.
SERVPRO’s licensed technicians can provide all of the remediation and cleaning services necessary for the upcoming season. A proper cleaning will combat all particles that infiltrate your property and provide for a safe and worry-free environment by:
- Enhancing your indoor air quality
- Improving overall air circulation
- Eliminating built-up dirt and contaminants
- Extending the life of your heating and cooling systems
Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County at (716) 694-7776 and rest easier this Fall knowing your property is clean and out of harm’s way.
Flooded Basement Clean-up & Restoration
How many homeowners have descended their basement steps to find a pool of murky water? Water follows the path of least resistance, finding cracks and holes through basement walls. Flooding can often be attributed to insufficient drainage around basement walls, heavy rains, a faulty sump pump, or a combination of these factors.
SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County is highly trained in water damage restoration including basement and crawlspace flooding. We have the experience, expertise, and equipment to remove the water and dry your basement properly. Our water removal and drying process emphasizes monitoring and documentation to validate your property is dry.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Damage Restoration Specialists
- Locally Owned and Operated
Basement Flooding? Call SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County
Basements can flood day or night, on weekends and even holidays, and that’s why SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County offers 24 emergency service, 365 days a year. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
Tips on how to stay healthy during the summer
- Stay cool and hydrated. Drink water, at least two to four cups (16-32 ounces) upon rising, and similar amounts if you are going out for activities and exercise. Carry water with you in a hard plastic container (more stable poly carbonate rather than polyethylene that leaches plastic into the water). You may also use a traveling water filter. Check your local water stores or www.realgoods.com. Most people need two to three quarts of liquid per day, and more in hot weather or with sweating and exercise. Review Chapter 1 of Staying Healthy with Nutrition or Chapter 7 of The Staying Healthy Shopper's Guide for further information on Water.
- While enjoying the sun and outdoors, protect yourself from overexposure to sunlight by wearing a hat and using natural sunscreens without excessive chemicals. Carry Aloe Vera gel for overexposure and have an aloe plant growing in your home for any kind of burn. The cooling and healing gel inside the leaves will soothe any sunburn. It works great.
- Keep up or begin an exercise program. Aerobic activity is important for keeping the heart strong and healthy. If you only work out in a health club, take some time to do outdoor refreshing activities -- hiking, biking, swimming, or tennis. Reconnecting with these activities will help keep your body and mind aligned.
- Enjoy Nature's bounty – fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables at their organic best. Consuming foods that are cooling and light -- fresh fruits, vegetable juices, raw vital salads, and lots of water -- will nourish your body for summertime activities. Include some protein with one or two meals. There are a number of light, nourishing proteins that don't require cooking. Most of these complement fruits and vegetables nicely-- nuts, seeds, sprouted beans, soy products, yogurt, kefir, and cottage cheese. Fish and poultry can also be eaten.
- Take some special summer time with your family, kids, and friends who share the enjoyment of outdoors. Plan a fun trip if you're able and motivated for a day or longer -- hiking in the wild, camping, playing at the river, or a few days resting at the ocean. Rekindling our Earth connection has benefits that last beyond this season, continuing to enrich the whole of your life.
- Relax and breathe. You've been working hard. This is the season to slow the pace a bit and absorb the light that stimulates your hormonal message center. Leave your cell phone at home or take a week off from TV. In many European countries, most of the population has a month off during the summer.
- Sun teas are wonderful. Use flowers and leaves (or tea bags) in a clear half- or one-gallon glass jar filled with spring water. Hibiscus or red clover flowers, peppermint, chamomile, or lemon grass are all good choices, or use your local herbs and flowers that you learn are safe, flavorful, and even medicinal. Leave in the sun for two hours or up to a whole day. Moon teas can also be made to enhance your lunar, dreamy side by letting your herbs steep in the cooling, mystical moonlight. Add a little orange or lemon peel, or a sprig of rosemary and a few jasmine flowers.
- Nutritional supplements can support you with a greater amount of physical energy, enhancing your summer activities. The B-complex vitamins are calming to the nervous system and helpful for cellular energy production, while vitamin C and the other antioxidants protect your body from stress, chemical pollutants, and the biochemical by-products of exercise. Helpful summer herbs are Siberian ginseng as an energy tonic and stress protector, dong quai is a tonic for women, hawthorn berry is good for the heart, and licorice root will help energy balance and digestion.
- Use the summer months to deepen the spiritual awakening begun in the spring. Begin by checking your local bookstore or the web for ideas that interest you. Plan a vacation that incorporates these new interests and provides you time to read, relax, contemplate, and breathe.
- Above all, give yourself the time to truly experience Nature. This can happen, even in a city park, if you relax and let in your surroundings. When traveling, take activities for the family and your first aid kit for bites, bee stings, and injuries. Check for ticks after your hikes. Watch for overexposure, take time in the shade, and drink your water.
SERVPRO is “Ready for whatever happens.” YOU CAN BE TOO THIS SUMMER
Each year, families and friends across the country enjoy the summer months with barbecues, camping trips, or by cooking off in a pool or lake. To enjoy these occasions, it is important to keep safety top of mind to ensure you have fun in the sun.
According to recent study by the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 11,900 Americans were injured by fireworks in 2015, with the majority happening in the month surrounding the Fourth of July. Another 8,700 are injured by charcoal/wood-burning and propane grill fires. A grill should always be supervised when in use. Keep children and pets a safe distance from the grilling area to prevent accidental burns or tipping the grill.
Grills also cause an average of 8,900 home structure or outdoor fires. :These fires caused an annual average of 50 civilian injuries and $2 million in direct property damage,” according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
If you enjoy lounging by the pool or going for a boat ride to cool off from the summer sun, make sure you exercise caution, especially when children are present. Only swim in approved areas and supervise children at all times when near the water.
The summer season should be a time to make memories and enjoy the great outdoors. Don’t become a statistic. Take precautions to prevent these events from putting a damper on your summer months!
SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County is here to help
SERVPRO Spring Cleaning
Life happens. Kids spill drinks, pets have accidents, and homes get dirty. SERVPRO of Eastern Niagara County has the expertise to provide a deeper clean than your basic house cleaning service. Our residential cleaning services will ease the burden of the constant maintenance cleaning of your home, but will also create a safe, clean and comfortable living environment for you and your family.
You know SERVPRO as a leader in Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration, but our professional residential cleaning services can also make a dirty carpet "Like it never even happened."
Trying to get your home "spring" clean? How about SERVPRO clean? You can see what services we provide at our website, or call us 24/7 at 716-694-7776. Our team will gladly work with you to get your home fresh and clean for spring!
Memorial Day 2017
This Federal holiday honoring men and women who died while serving the U.S. military takes place the last Monday of May and has created many springtime traditions and tributes around various towns in America. By the late 1960s, Americans all over bugun this tradition in order to honor the fallen soldiers by decorating their graves with flowers and reciting prayers.
Originally, Memorial Day was known as Decoration Day and was chosen to be held on the 30th of May because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle. It was to honor only the fallen soldiers of the Civil War but over time, it evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars. By 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, which established Memorial Day as the last Monday of May and created a three-day weekend for federal employees.
Today, many cities and towns across America hold Memorial Day parades, incorporating military personnel and members of the veterans’ organization. Many people are often found visiting cemeteries and memorials to honor the countless fallen soldiers. Others throw parties and barbecues to enjoy the beginning of summer.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Western New York basement could flood, including:
A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
Storm sewer backup
Sanitary sewer backup
Foundation drainage failure
Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
And many more
A flood could be caused by heavy rain runoff. In the past few weeks, we have had more rain in Western NY than we could remember! Calls about this issue have been swinging in!
If water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to your home’s structure not to mention the potential harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
We have advanced inspection and extraction equipment
Call us at 716-694-7776
Raw Sewage Cleanup: Not a Good DIY Project
Confronted by raw sewage cleanup, you’d probably rather not do it yourself in the first place. Still, some homeowners may attempt the job on their own to economize, or because they’re simply unaware of the hazards. Also known in the industry as “black water,” raw sewage is classified as Category 3 on the toxic water hazard scale (there’s no Category 4.) Environmental experts warn all persons exposed to raw sewage to assume that potentially dangerous pathogens are present. Cleanup is a job for trained professionals, properly equipped with safety equipment and disinfectants specifically designed for the job.
Raw sewage can contaminate your home in more than one way:
A clogged sewer line between your house and the municipal sewer main at the street or septic tank can reflux sewage back into your premises.
Sewage may reflux into residences if the local municipal sewer system or treatment facility is inundated with water, such as in general flooding.
Floodwater originating from an overflowing river or lake, or an ocean storm surge, may pick up raw sewage as it spreads through populated areas, swamping septic tanks and sewer pipes. By the time that floodwater reaches your house, it may be dangerously contaminated.
Here are some reasons why experts advise contacting a qualified water damage recovery expert if raw sewage cleanup is required:
Untreated sewage is commonly grossly contaminated by bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and other disease-causing microorganisms.
Hazardous sewage-borne pathogens may infect an inexperienced and inadequately protected person by simple contact with bare skin, inhalation, and accidental transfer from hands to mouth or eyes.
Shoes or clothes may transfer toxic sewage residue from the affected areas to silently contaminate “safe” parts of the house.
DIY clean-up methods with consumer-grade disinfectants may be inadequate to thoroughly decontaminate the premises. Contaminated residue from sewage that soaked into building materials and infiltrated the structure of the house may form an ongoing source of potential infection and disease.
For your own safety and the health of your family, leave raw sewage cleanup to the professionals at SERVPRO
Your commercial property’s appearance speaks volumes to your clients. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Retail Facilities
- Education Facilities
- Property Management
- Healthcare Facilities
- Hospitality Facilities
- Food Service Facilities
Commercial Building Restoration Services
We are available 24 hours a day to get your business back up and running. Our expertise includes restoration services for fire and water damage, including electronics restoration and document drying. We are also your business’s best resource for mold remediation. Learn more about our commercial restoration services:
Commercial Building Cleaning Services
Whether your need is removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can depend on a SERVPRO Franchise Professional to get the job done right the first time. They’ll respond promptly and make your workspace look its very best. Learn more about our Commercial Cleaning Service.
Call us at 716-694-7776